Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts
The EU Blue Card allows third-country nationals with a university degree to take up employment in Germany in accordance with their qualifications.
The EU Blue Card, like all longer-term residence permits, is issued exclusively by the relevant Alien Authority in Germany. You must apply for the national visa, which is required in advance, from the embassy.
This leaflet is an addition to our general leaflet on visas and applications at the German Embassy in Riga, to be found on our website. Please read it carefully.
- 2 fully filled in and signed application forms in either German or English
- Valid passport (valid for at least six more months)
- Residence permit for Latvia (valid for at least three more months)
- 2 biometric passport photographs
- Visa fee of 75,00 € to be paid in cash or by credit card (Master Card / Visa)
- Curriculum vitae of professional career, specifying the relevant certificates, diplomas, etc. you have obtained
- German university degree or recognized foreign degree comparable to a German degree.
- You can check whether your foreign university degree is recognized or comparable by consulting the ANABIN database
- Contract / binding job offer with details of gross annual salary
ALL documents have to be presented in their original version together with TWO simple copies.
Documents which are not in German or English have to be presented with certified translation by notary.
Please note that the Embassy might request the presentation of further documents in individual cases.
Following approval of the visa application, but before your visa can be issued, you must provide evidence that you have taken out travel health insurance, if such evidence has not already been submitted.
The content of this leaflet has been compiled with care and to the best of knowledge of the German embassy. However, the German embassy cannot assume any liability for the up-to-datedness’, completeness or accuracy of any of the provided information’s.